Monday 26 July 2010

The "WAoVW?" dvd

Films on dvds are a great technological feat. When I first purchased the "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" dvd in 2004, I used to view it every night for about a fortnight. Each time, I experienced meeting Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton as my own guests at my place exactly as they themselves expect guests to come to their place. I like it when reality and art intermingle, or at least when both come as much as possible close to each other, and hence I hope to achieve, as Bernard Shaw hoped, an art that is truly realistic and a reality that is aesthetically artistic. One doesn't have to write verse to elevate speech to the level of poetry, as poetry for me is partly, and a small part of it at that, in verse, whereas poetry in its widest sense has the sky for its limit. I find poetry in Nick repeating what he has just heard from Martha: "George and Martha; sad, sad, sad, sad" as much as I find poetry in "To be or not to be". But, isn't "to be or not to be" a phrase we first heard in our school days from our teachers teaching us English verbs of "to do', "to have' and "to be", only that the great Bard put the phrase: "to be" within the centrafugal of language to come out with a poetic potential as active as uranium, just like the ordinary simple everyday-life word, "Go"--the last word spoken in Strindberg's "Miss Julie"--which Strindberg put in the atomic oven and brought out with a poetic force rarely if ever found in verse. There are, therefore, two types of poetry: language poetry and non-language poetry. There is even the poetry of utter silence as in the Mona Lisa. There is poetry of yelling in the streets, like Stanley in Tennessee Williams' "Streetcar Named Desire", yelling: "Stella", and there is poetry in mooing like a cow, as Lopakhin moos like a cow in Chekhov's "The Cherry Orchard"

No comments:

Post a Comment