Tuesday 6 July 2010

Sam's Hamm

Sam's Hamm is my favourite character. I like him so much that one of my personal wishes for the future is that one day I'll be like him: blind, crippled and alone, just according to his own prediction to Clov: "One day you be blind, like me. You'll be sitting there, a speck in the void, in the dark, for ever, like me." Usually it is literature that imitates life; in my case I want life to imitate literature. If I were as lucky as that and Hamm's prediction applied to me, then I would enter "Endgame" world and this is my ultimate wish, my entire happiness. Hamm says to Clov: "Outside of here is another hell". Since outside as well inside of "Endgame" it is hell, I might as well be in "Endgame" hell. There is a song by the celebrated Iraqi Jewish brothers Saleh and Dawood Al-Kuwaiti, about a lover addressing a lover saying: "Your hell rather than my parents' paradise"

No comments:

Post a Comment