Monday 26 July 2010

Knight on Cleopatra

On 17th (ides of) March 1983, G Wilson Knight delivered a lecture in University of Exeter on Shakespeare and Spiritualism, and he started the lecture by saying that he was going to concentrate on Shakespeare' "Antony and Cleopatra" because it was associated with a person (he meant me) who "comes from the Middle East, and who I telephoned yesterday to be here with us now."  Sitting at the lecture, I kept a low profile. Knight indeed telephoned me the previous afternoon about his lecture, and we had, in one of our frequent meetings--some at his home, Caroline House, Streatham Road, or my home, 41 Danes Road--discussed, among many other topics, Cleopatrta's joyfulness about preparing herself for death. Oh, how G Wilson Knight in his mellifluous dramatic voice (he was a professional one-man-show actor) recited to me Cleopatra's words: in the "O, I have such longing in me for immortality" speech

G Wilson Knight was to die on 15th (ides) of March, 1985 at the age of 88

No comments:

Post a Comment