Thursday 8 July 2010

questions to be asked

The tape-recoder is everything Beckett's "Krapp's Last Tape"consists of. The play title itself is "Tape". Beckett wrote "Krapp's Last Tape" in 1958, immediately after his discovery of the tape-recorder when, according to Martin Esslin himself, Esslin introduced Beckett to the tape-recorder in 1957 after Esslin carried with him a tape-recorder on board of the plane that took him to Paris to meet SB. Purpose was to make SB listen to the recording of his radio play, "All That Fall" which he couldn't hear properly broadcast from BBC Programme 3 in London due to windy weather. Arriving at SB's in Paris, Esslin unpacked a tape-recorder and made SB listen to his play,"All That Fall". Beckett, wondering what the new equipment was, Esslin explained it was a new invention. That inspired him to write "Krapp's Last Tape". My father was interesed in Arabic classic singing, and he himself was a singer. We lived in Telkaif, 10 miles north-west of Mosul city, in northern Iraq. One day my father visited a friend, Noori Assar, in whose house he had a tape-recorder his relatives in US had sent him. Noori explained to my father what it was. My father sang and had his voice recorded, and when rewinding the tape, the Dr Jekyll in my father was amazed to hear the Mr Hyde in him singing from the tape. Immediately, my father bought a Grundig TK-5 tape-recorder. That was in 1956 in the village of Telkaif which was supplied with electricity power only a few months before the tape-recorder incident. Now, I pride myself that I was introduced to the tape-recorder in the obscure village of Telkaif in northern Iraq about a year prior to SB's introduction to it in Paris, capital of the world. A question to be asked. Likewise, I wonder how SB wasn't aware of the tape-recorder Arthur Miller used in his 1949 play,"Death of a Salesman". Another question to be asked

No comments:

Post a Comment