Monday 26 July 2010

Stronger than sex

Pinter came from N London. When one evening my London girlfriend Caroline took me to see some of her friends in N London, my mind, when I was sitting beside Caroline in a taxi, was visualising where Pinter's original whereabouts could be. I was attracted to Pinter in his absence and in my imagination more than to Caroline in her presence and in my reality. Contrary to Dr Freud, there are things in the human psyche stronger than sex, intellectuality being one of them, and if I were given the option whether to be in Caroline's or Pinter's company that evening, I would have chosen Pinter's. Action is another impetus that is more powerful than sex. Hotspur in "Henry IV" 1 leaves his warm bed with his wife at dawn of a Scottish winter to go to the battlefield, and he eventually meets his death. In Elia Kazan's 1951 movie, "Viva Zapata!", starring Marlon Brando, Zapata leaves his warm bed while still in the first few nights of his honeymoon, and goes to meet his violent death. In Arabic history, the famous army leader Khalid preferred a freezing dawn waiting for the next battle to his wedding night

No comments:

Post a Comment