Tuesday 6 July 2010

two parallel trios

I have made Samuel Beckett a houshold name and person. I live with my wife and son Ali. In our trio, my wife and I tend to be reticent and silent whereas son Ali is rather articulate. During my visit to Ruby Cohn at her studio in Crane Court, London on 26th July 2005, she told that once at Beckett's in Paris, Beckett and she were sitting quietly and James Knowlson was articulate. Beckett, being the shy man he was, signalled to Ruby, and Ruby, being the brave woman we all know her to be, told Jim to call it a day. I told my wife and son about the incident, and the threesome agreed that the Beckett-Cohn-Knowlson incident so corresponded to our situation that there was a time we addressed each other with nicknames, I was Beckett, my wife was Ruby and Ali was Knowlson. It became common to hear Ali saying: Dad Beckett and Mom Ruby and my wife and I call Ali: "Jim". In a postcard Ruby Cohn told me how fortuitous I was to have my first two initials S[iddeek] B[akr] Tawfeek the same as S[amuel] B[eckett]

No comments:

Post a Comment