Monday 12 July 2010

Audio or Visual?

Rod Steiger is one of my chosen few actors, and 'tis great pity indeed that he didn't play Pozzo and Hamm. My favourite Beckett actor is Patrick Magee. I like him mainly for his voice. Beckett it like it, too, so he wrote "Krapp's Last Tape" for Magee to play Krapp. There was an excellent performance of Magee as Mephistopheles in Marlowe' "Dr Faustus" in the Lyric-Hammersmith in 1981. I have rather unorthodox habits of enjoying the performing arts--I prefer listening to spoken word recordings of plays to viewing visual presentations of plays whether on stage, screen or tv. I may enjoy a good visual presentation once or twice, but the more I listen to spoken word records, the more I enjoy them, just like Estragon enjoying carrots the more he eats them. I memorised Peter Weiss' MARAT/SADE from the numerous times I listened to the Caedmon Records of the play, especially Sade's part spoken beautifully by Magee: "Before understanding what's right and what's wrong, we first must understand what we are. I cannot understand myself, I do not know if I am a victim or a hangman, and no longer do I discover some truth about myself than I begin to doubt it. ... Nature would stand unmoved if we destroyed the entire human race. I hate nature." Bravo, Magee reading de Sade

No comments:

Post a Comment