Sunday 27 June 2010

"To a biography of me, I say 'Yes'", finally Beckett said to James Knowlson who had been persisting to procure the Jameson Irish whiskey drinker's long-delayed consent to write his biography. Likewise, to your suggestion for a chat on things Beckettian by e-mail, I say, 'Yes' immediately, without delay, as Hamlet promises his father's ghost. The irony is that Hamlet was not 'apt' in fulfilling his commitment and crrrrrrrritics (Beckett's spelling of critics in WAITING FOR GODOT) usually associate Hamlet with delay. In July 2005 I went to Reading and met Knowlson and wife Elizabeth and they invited me to a chicken lunch at the Senior Common Room, College of Arts, University of Reading, and a few days later they invited me to a garden high tea at their home where Elizabeth prided herself on having been kissed by Beckett in his Paris flat. I did good readings in Reading at the Beckett Archive, Beckett International Foundation, University of Reading Library where Julian Garforth works as a Beckett Researcher. Among the things I read was Anne Attik's book HOW IT WAS where she, running out of adjectives in the English language to describe how Beckett was a good-hearted soul, she resorts to the Hebrew language to borrow the word tsaddik to desribe him. Tsaddik in Hebrew means the veracious the truthful, the rightuous and the sincere. The Arabic language, being a sister Semitic language of Hebrew, has the same word meaning the same as in Hebrew, with a slight spelling varaition, and my name Siddeek is this word in Arabic. What thickened the coincidence is that the name of the secretary at the Beckett Archive is Verity Andrews and Verity means the veracious, the truthful and the sincere, ie the English version of Hebrew tsaddik and the Arabic version of siddeek. After reading about Beckett being tsaddik in Attik's description, I rushed to Verity and told her that her name and my name and Beckett as described in Hebrew by Anne Attik are the same and one thing. Here endeth the first part of things Beckettian for the time being on my part


__________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment