Monday 28 June 2010

In the newspaper Munthir (our philanderer Munthir Al-Habeeb) used for a table cover when we sat to eat eggplant tapsi in his villa in Baghdad in 1994, I read the news of John Osborne's death. From Osborne's play title, LOOK BACK IN ANGER (1956), theatre historians borrowed the word anger to christen a new era of British theatre. Kenneth Tynan's remark, "I doubt it if I could love anyone who did not wish to see LOOK BACK IN ANGER", made Sir Laurence Olivier rush to see it, and after the show Sir Laurence said to Osborne, "In your next play, have me in mind", and the result was Osborne's second play (which I taught in Mosul University in 1977 and in Mustansiyah in 1993), THE ENTERTAINER whose protagonist Archie Rice Olivier played on both stage and screen

No comments:

Post a Comment