Sunday 27 June 2010

In an interview where Eli Wallach accounts for his relation with Marilyn Monroe, he says that in an off-the-set conversation with MM while making The Misfits, he said to her, "Let me show you who I really am; let's go the beach"


During my NYC visit in July 2004, and while on my way to visit the Actors' Studio at W 44, I thought I was going to an area that was sealed by NYPD, and only pre-arranged visits could be made. I arrived there, and where did I find myself? In a desolute avenue where it took me five minutes to find a passer-by to hold my camera and snap it for a photo of myself standing at the entrance of the Actors' Mecca. Thank God, a van belonging to the neighbours opposite the Studio stopped and two men came out to unload their shopping. One of them, who couldn't make head or tail of my hyper-excitement took my photo. I could get inside the Studio when a trainee arrived . He allowed me only 2 minutes, during which I looked around. The trainee pointed at a chair and a desk were a lecturer or instructor would sit facing his audience. He told me that a few months ago before he died, Marlon Brando was sitting there one morning when Eli wallach came in and started talking what sounded to Brando stuff and nonsense that Brando with his bulky belly stood up and rushed towards Wallach and hurled him away, calling him names. After getting Wallach's phone number in NYC, I dialed and the other side which was the answering machine said to me, "Mr Wallach regrets that he cannot respond to calls on this number."

No comments:

Post a Comment