Monday 28 June 2010

SB admired--like me, of course, intellectually-- the Marquis de Sade and his two characters, Pozzo and Hamm, the only villains in the entire works of SB, are obliquely modelled upon some de Sadean attributes. No wonder SB, the timid, coy, meek person he was, indeed the true tsaddik, came under a slight infulence of de Sade because SB suffered Nazi atrocities during WW2. During my visit to him in his office at the University of Reading, Professor John Pilling, the well-established Beckettian--Becketteer, to use Ruby Cohn's coinage of the word--told me a lot about SB's friend Paul Leon who was murdered by the Nazi who were assisted by a Catholic priest. The incident is mentioned in James Knowlson's most recent masterpiece, BECKETT REMEMBERING/REMEMBERING BECKETT. Pilling also told me that SB and wife Suzanne were sought by the Gestapo. In response to my question why shouldnt there be a study of this section of SB's life, Pilling told me there wasnt sufficient documents, and SB himself never elaborated on the subject

No comments:

Post a Comment