Monday 28 June 2010

The chthonic powers the ancient Greeks believed in were the factors that determined people's fate, and in certain cases their tragedy. In the final scene where the woman comes to take away the son in Ibsen's JOHN GABRIEL BORKMAN, the woman, asks how come she could know that the son was there, she explains that it was the chthonic forces told her so. Because I am so immersed in tragic drama, my brother in Iraq told me when he visited me in Jordan in summer 1997 that the dampness which spread on the wall in the living room of my house which I left back in Mosul, Iraq and which he is living in, formed an image of someone looking like Shakespeare. As the frost was playing its tricks on the window in ST Coleridge's FROST AT MIDNIGHT, the dampness in my house was working similarly. Coleridge associates the frost work on the window at midnight with the fate of his infant son Hartley. So is the dampness in my house associated with my wife Maysoon's fate. It was in that house where in 1988 I enacted with my late wife Maysoon the final scene of THE WINTER'S TALE where the the Queen, presumed dead, comes back to the King.

No comments:

Post a Comment