Monday 28 June 2010

taking care of a lot written on Beckett after his death

In a lively, colourful, highly informative and utterly indelible series of chats on theatre, literature and biographies, Eric Bentley, who welcomed me to a tea evening and two lunches at his Manhattan home in July 2004, cautioned me that a lot written about Beckett after his death is unreliable. The photo on the left was taken at Bentley's Manhattan residence. In the full photo, Professor Bentley is on my left, but I cut the photo for printing reasons. Looked at, the photo can be seen to contain a faint photo on the wall just on my left. The photo is that of Brecht sitting with Bentley. About to be photographed, I told Professor Bentley that I was going to be on his right, just to replace Brecht in the original photo. Our photo was snapped by Jay Broad, an LA-based theatre director who had directed on the stage Bentley's play, "Are You or Have You Ever Been?"

No comments:

Post a Comment