Wednesday 4 August 2010

Caedmon Spoken Word Records

I have a special, cynics would consider it peculiar or even odd, liking of listening to plays on LPs or cassettes or cds. My favourite ones were the Caedmon spoken word records. In listening, you feel and enjoy the words which you miss while watching actors moving on the stage or the screen. I discovered these records in 1971 when they were still on LPs. I was then doing my MA degree in English literature the University of Leeds, England. The first 3-LP set I bought was "Death of a Salesman", then I bought many Shakespears plays LPs. The best I have heard on the entire Caedmon is Lee J Cobb playing Willey Loman in Miller's "Death of a Salesman" and Patrick Magee reading the Marquis de Sade in Peter Weiss' "MaratlSade". Charlie Onion, a fellow-Caedmon-Records admirer mentions that the entire cast of the original "Death of a Salesman" was called to do the recording of the play. Not exactly, as Arthur Kennedy and Cameron Mitchel who played Biff and Happy in the orignal were in the recording replaced. It should be mentioned that Arthur Miller attended the sessions of the recording and he himself recorded a preface. I salute Marrianne Roney and Barbara Cohen for their project, especially they hired first class actors to do the recordings, actors like Paul Scofield to do King Lear, Montgomery Clift to do Tom in "Glass Menagerie", Hugh Griffith to do Prospero, and others. Dylan Thomas' recording with a cast "Under Milk Wood" was not up to my expectations. It is a joy to bring back the memory of those Caedmon spoken word LPs which I left back home in 1995

No comments:

Post a Comment