Monday 10 January 2011

"Conversational" Literature and Letters

Two characteristics of my my reading and writing habits include: (1) I prefer "conversational" literature to "compositional" literature. ie I prefer Wordsworth's lyrics to Milton's epics, and (2) as my only literary output is letters, I am attracted to letters as the chief genre of my literary preference in both reading and writing letters. This is a prologue to express (in relation to point 1 above) my admiration of William Cowper who, after the Metaphysicals, changed the direction of 18th century poetry by writing of everyday life scenes, leading up to Robert Browning and Ezra Pound, and my admiration of Cowper (in relation to point 2 above) that Cowper's letters to friends are considered among the most delightful letters in the whole range of English literature

No comments:

Post a Comment